The Centre for Global Education was established in 1982. It is an independent, non-profit, development education centre based in York St John University. Our aim is to promote a global perspective to learning to provide an “education for a just future”.
We aim to provide support, challenge, training and learning opportunities that allow interactive involvement with a variety of global educational projects and events.
We worl locally, nationally and internationally with teachers, governors, community groups, educational NGOs, Local Authorities and children and young people.
We encourage active participation in learning to develop understanding around global issues, to broaden understanding of our personal interdependence with one another, to challenge stereotyping and to promote and encourage action for social justice. These objectives enable us to achieve our broad aim to provide “education for a just future”.
We are able to offer:
- CPD for teachers, early years practitioners and classroom assistants including courses, staff meetings and school based training days.
- Access to our resource centre that has many books, teaching packs, DVDs and artefacts that can be borrowed.
- Support to schools working towards the YHGSA Global Schools Award, the UNICEF Rights Respecting Schools Award & Early Years Rights Respecting Settings Award.
- Training, information and support to schools and community groups that want to develop global partnerships with schools and communities.
- School based workshop eg Fairtrade, World Summits.
- International summer schools.